The Nightmare Guard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business!

2 posters

Go down

Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business! Empty Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business!

Post  TwilightSparkle Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:11 am

Hello, one and all, and welcome to my little section of the Nightmare Guard forum! I'm TwilightSparkle, also known as The Night Owl or (occassionally) Doctor Whooves on Steam, and I'm the gang's resident bookworm. You can call me Twilight or Owl, I answer to both.
That tells you who I am, but how about what I'm doing here, eh? Well, being one of the most prolific readers in the state of Texas, I inevitably got bored with the local library's selection of fiction (and nonfiction, for that matter) and went to the Internet looking for more reading material. What I found was a (booby-trapped, but we'll get to that) treasure trove of stories as diverse, clever and and original (mostly...) as they come: I discovered fanfiction. These were stories written by fans of book series, movies, TV shows, comics, video games, and all manner of commercially-produced media who had gotten ideas for adventures beyond the limitations of their favorite canons and were just crazy and smart enough to write them down. Be it Altair ibn La-Ahad timewarped into Renaissance Italy, Hiccup Haddock questing on behalf of the Norse pantheon, Aelita Hopper's daughter going to high school, General George S. Patton set loose in Equestria, (I can explain that one!) or the classic author-insert story, there are fanfics out there that rival and even surpass their source works.
However, that still doesn't spell out what I plan on doing, does it? Well, here it is: I'm going to read and review for this brony-gamer forum all of the best stories I can find from the My Little Pony fandom. I'm going to try to act as a guide, searching for the really good stories which are admittedly lonely islands of talent and literary skill in the cliche-infested waters of fanfiction. I'll give you my honest opinion of each one, no more, no less, and try to fill you in on as much as I can relating to the characterizations and tropes present in the stories. I'll tell you about cruddy cliches, clever concepts, cool original characters, and contribute a cartload of cordial constructive criticism in my own snarky, analytical way.
Despite the fact that the only people likely to read this know me personally and therefore would know to do so already, if you have any suggestions for good stories I can read and review, don't hesitate to post them up here. I'm always looking for new reasons to kill time reading! Likewise, if you see anything about the reviews themselves that you feel I could do better with, PLEASE let me know. This is the first time I've done anything more involving online than checking my Facebook page once every few weeks, so any help is appreciated.
All that much said, I expect to have the first review of many up on here by next Friday morning, so stay tuned. This is TwilightSparkle, and to all my fellow readers out there: ALLONS-Y!
TwilightSparkle
TwilightSparkle

Back to top Go down

Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business! Empty I just don't... well, actually, I do know what went wrong.

Post  TwilightSparkle Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 am

Heh heh, seems I've underestimated how long this would take to put together. Need to finish rereading the story before writing the review, so I'll be a few days longer than anticipated. I'll have to be more careful about using my time... maybe write out a schedule for this next week. Getting kinda creepily in-character here, so that will be all for now. Ta!
- Twilight
TwilightSparkle
TwilightSparkle

Back to top Go down

Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business! Empty Re: Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business!

Post  Rainbow Dash Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Whatever helps ya get started, man!
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Dash

https://www.youtube.com/user/foxman691/featured

Back to top Go down

Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business! Empty It's About Time

Post  TwilightSparkle Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Well, it took me two and a half weeks to actually get it done, but it's ready. The first of my fanfiction reviews is going up moments from now, so I hope whoever's reading this likes it and just might be inspired to look up a good story afterward!
-TwilightSparkle
TwilightSparkle
TwilightSparkle

Back to top Go down

Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business! Empty Re: Fanfic Reviews by Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian. Now open for business!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum